With L’s birthday party over, I can officially cross off #32: make a birthday cake.
So what did I learn in my first cake making event ever?
- Making a test cake is a good idea. I only tested the cake batter and the buttercream icing. I left the cake filling and fondant up to chance.
- Fondant is much easier to work with than I thought. It was like playing with play-doh.
- Buttercream, not so much. As you can see, I couldn’t get the icing to be smooth as it normally should. Perhaps if I had the proper tools it might be easier. All I had on hand was a rubber spatula and a spoon.
- 2 boxes of jello pudding makes a lot of pudding! I used the pudding as the filling between the layers. So yummy and so easy! This idea was hubby’s contribution.
- Cake making is a lot of fun. I love the end product. But it’s a lot of work. I kid you not. In total including the test run, I probably spent 10 hours making this cake.
All worth it for my baby’s fantastic birthday smile!