Two-and-a-Half Weeks

my littlest angel

My dear girl, has it really been two-and-a-half weeks since your arrival? What a whirlwind it has been already! Even from the start, you arrived with a flurry.  Your birth story is an amazing one, and I’ve been thinking about how to best tell it, so here goes… 

The day, December 16, started off normally, documented here in this blog, but it was shortly thereafter that things started to get interesting. 

We arrived home from our Ikea adventure around 3pm. I call hubby at work and my mom to report that nothing has changed and I was still pregnant and I write my post. By around 3:30 pm I start to feel “something” but I’m not sure so I start timing the “somethings”.  They seem to be coming about 4 minutes apart but lasting only 30 seconds. Must be the start of contractions, I conclude. 

3:45pm I call hubby and tell him he should consider coming home. I suspect we’d be going to the hospital tonight. I call my mom and ask her to come over to pick up K. We had planned that she stay over at my mom’s while we were at the hospital. Next I call my midwife to report the contractions and she said she was already at hospital waiting on another birth, but to call back when the contractions were more than a minute in length. I thought I had plenty of time considering K’s birth lasted over 18 hours. 

Boy was I wrong! By 4:30pm the contractions were coming on strong, I could barely stand. The phone was ringing constantly but I couldn’t be bothered to pick it up. It required me moving from the comfort of leaning against the office chair. It was hubby, trying to get an update. He was stuck in traffic. It was snowing. 

4:45pm I call hubby back, declaring he must come home NOW! I felt like I was ready to have the baby! My only thoughts were that this baby was on its way any minute now and I was going to deliver him/her in my house alone. That was far from what I had imagined for your birth story. 

5:00pm My dad arrives at the house. Hubby had called him to come over to drive me to the hospital. I was not going anywhere. It was painful to move.  I thought as each contraction would pass, it would get better. Again I was wrong.  The contractions came like waves, one crashing on top of the other. 

5:30pm My water breaks. I call my midwife and tell her I was going to have this baby at home. She was sending another midwife to my house right away. I get off the phone and dial 9-1-1. I was determined to have a medical professional around when this baby was born. An ambulance was on its way. 

5:45pm Hubby arrives home. I’m lying on the front foyer, my dad hovering over me. Two ambulances arrive at my front door. I told them I was having this baby now. Can I push? They said no. I wasn’t ready. Are you kidding me? I thought. I most certainly was ready! Every fibre in my being just wanted this baby out. 

The ambulance drivers put me in the back of the bus and took off. Hubby was with me. The wonderful ambulance attendant told me she had 6 children and I get through this. I just had to breathe and try not push.
You don’t want to have this baby in an ambulance, do you?” she asked. Honestly, at this point, it didn’t matter where I was having the baby. Hubby told me afterwards that the ride through traffic to the hospital was just like in the movies, weaving in between cars and sirens and horns blazing. We made it to the hospital in record time. 

6pm, the OB on call meets us in the ambulance bay and rides the elevator with us to labour and delivery. He was going to deliver my baby, he said. What?! Where was my midwife? She told me she was already at the hospital. She wasn’t here, the doctor said. I was disappointed. We arrive in the delivery room and they move me onto a bed. The doctor checks me and says you can start pushing now. The words I’ve been dying to hear. 

Then my midwife arrives! She had just taken a tour from the hospital to my house, back to the hospital. Chasing the ambulance. I was so happy to see her! Of course, no time for pain meds or anitbiotics for my Group B Strep positive situation.

Within 30 minutes it was all over. At 6:27pm my littlest angel arrives. And I breathe for the first time. She’s perfect.


6 thoughts on “Two-and-a-Half Weeks

  1. That’s quite a story! Thankfully, the ending was happy. I waiting too long with my third — he almost made his appearance on the way to the hospital. My husband went through countless red lights. At the hospital a nurse caught him. Very dramatic and scary when I think about it now. Be sure you print out this story for the baby book. And she is PERFECT.

  2. OMG. The image of you lying in the foyer! Too much. I can so totally relate to that pain you were in! I went to 7 cms at home before heading to the hospital. Mama! Amazing job. More tears here.

  3. Pingback: 7 months « Flowerpot Designs

  4. Pingback: two | FlowerPot Designs

  5. Pingback: three | FlowerPot Designs

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s